Minimum system requirements
- Windows-based PC* with DVD drive and mouse or equivalent input device
- Windows® 10 (32 or 64 bit), 8 (32 or 64 bit), 7 (32 or 64 bit), Vista (32 or 64 bit) or XP SP3 (32 bit) operating systems
- 512MB RAM (Windows® XP), 1GB RAM (Windows® Vista and 32-bit Windows® 7 and 8), 2GB RAM (For 64-bit Windows® 7, 8 and 10)
- 564MB free hard disk space for physical media install (and a DVD drive)
- 1.66GB free hard disk space for download install (additional space required during installation)
- 1024 x 768 monitor resolution (at 100% scaling)
- 1.7GB free hard disk space
- Dual-core processor technology
- Windows-compatible printer
- TWAIN-compatible scanner and/or digital camera
- NET 2.0 for text import filters (Word 2007/2010 + OpenOffice) (installed by default)**
- Internet account and connection required for accessing online resources and .NET installation
* Main processor must support SSE2 instructions
** On Windows 8/10, also requires an extra 1.8GB of free hard disk space.
Detailed Feature Comparison
|PagePlus X9||InDesign CC||Publisher 2016|
|Software you can buy and install without subscription||Yes||No||No|
|Windows 7, 8 and 10 compatible||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Windows XP and Vista compatible||Yes||No||No|
|Document previews when browsing files in Windows Explorer||Yes||No||No|
|Search files including text content (in Windows Vista/7/8)||Yes||No||No|
|High DPI support (for retina displays, HDTVs, and for accessibility)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Tool Feedback provides precise information such as dimensions||Yes||Yes||No|
|Customisable keyboard shortcuts||Yes||No||Yes|
|Advanced Design and Publishing|
|Open PDFs: advanced editing with flowing text||Yes||No||No|
|Create PDF/X files for pro printing (CMYK and PDF/X-3 or newer)||Yes||Yes||No|
|Enhanced PDF export with support for PDF X-4 and X-5||Yes||Yes||No|
|PDF Pass Through ensures inserted PDF's export accurately||Yes||Yes||No|
|PDF Overprint for professional output and overlaid ink effects||Yes||Yes||No|
|Convert Text to a Table automatically||Yes||Yes||No|
|Mail merge to PDF||Yes||Yes||No|
|Create PDF forms that can be filled in on-screen||Yes||Yes||No|
|Text Format Painter||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|EPS Export of documents or individual components||Yes||Yes||No|
|Fast graphic design with live customisable QuickShapes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Advanced drawing tools||Yes||Yes||No|
|Freeform warp tool with warp shape presets||Yes||No||No|
|Hunspell Support for a broad range of language and grammar dictionaries||Yes||Yes||No|
|Guide Tool to edit multiple guides at once||Yes||Yes||No|
|Professional blend modes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Live gradient fill and transparency tools||Yes||Yes||Gradient Only|
|Live shadow tool||Yes||No||No|
|Select colour from an image loaded in the colour tab||Yes||Yes||No|
|Baseline grid for professional text alignment||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pantone Plus and Pantone Goe colour systems included||Yes||Not Goe||Not Plus|
|Automatic Text Frames create a new frame on the next page||Yes||No||No|
|Text on a custom path||Yes||Yes||No|
|Calendar Event Manager to add special dates and holidays||Yes||No||No|
|GPOS Kerning for more accurate typography||Yes||Yes||No|
|Master Page Naming||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Assigning Multiple Master Pages||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Generate QR Codes to add to documents||Yes||Yes||No|
|Table and calendars with built-in style editor||Yes||No||No|
|Photo Editing and Compatibility|
|PhotoLab — quick yet powerful image editing||Yes||No||No|
|Image cutout studio||Yes||No||No|
|Red eye removal||Yes||No||No|
|High quality image resizing using Lanczos3 technology||Yes||No||No|
|Professional image effects||Yes||No||Basic|
|Professional image adjustments||Yes||No||Limited|
|Output books as EPUB® for eReaders||Yes||Yes||No|
|Export books as .Mobi files for the Kindle store||Yes||No||No|
|Support for Googles WebP image format||Yes||No||No|
|Insert Serif DrawPlus files and edit them||Yes||No||No|
|EPUB3 fixed layout eBooks for textbooks, children's books etc.||Yes||Yes||No|
|32- and 64-bit scanning||Yes||No||No|
Serif believes the information in the comparison to be reasonably reliable but does not guarantee its accuracy. Consumers are solely responsible for verifying the claims.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is PagePlus fully 64-bit compatible?
- Yes! When you install PagePlus X9 on your 64-bit computer, the 64-bit version will be chosen automatically. This will take full advantage of the better memory management and resources offered in 64-bit systems. If your version of Windows is 32-bit, or if you’re not sure if whether it’s 32- or 64-bit, don’t worry, PagePlus will install the right version for you if you just go ahead and click OK.
- How is PagePlus X9 going to help me make better documents?
- Mainly by giving you total freedom of layout and a creative tool set far beyond that available in similar software packages, so you can create what you need without frustration. If you’ve used DTP software before you’ll appreciate PagePlus’s speed, accuracy, and flexibility; if you’re new to design there are lots of ready-made design elements and assistants to help your work look professional. PagePlus X9 is so versatile it can handle all your documentation, print design and digital publishing in one package, whether you need it for business, to promote a club, church or charity, to produce handouts or to publish a best seller.
- You don’t mention what processor is required for PagePlus X9, will it run on my old computer?
- Yes, if your computer already runs Windows 7, Windows 8, Vista or XP, you’ll be able to run PagePlus X9. All you really need in order to use all of PagePlus X9’s professional publishing power on a Windows PC is some hard disk space, a screen, mouse and keyboard (or other input devices).
- Does PagePlus X9 support ‘retina’ screens?
- Yes, modern Windows PCs and laptops can have very high resolution screens; PagePlus X9 supports retina quality and Windows display scaling, so will always look absolutely stunning and crisp while remaining very easy to use.
Printing, publishing and sharing
- Can I open PDF files and edit them?
- Yes, PagePlus X9 can open PDFs as if they are regular documents! Edit the text, graphics, images and layout — you can usually change everything, although this can depend on how the PDF was first made. As well as editing text, fonts and images, you can move things around and resize them, add pages, merge PDFs and much more. When you’re done you can republish as PDF, save the document as a PagePlus file, export parts of it as images, or publish as an eBook.
- What kind of eBooks can I publish?
- You can produce flowing eBooks, like novels, for all popular Kindles, iPads and other models of readers, in Mobi or EPUB format, and you can also publish fixed layout eBooks as EPUB 3 files. Fixed layout eBooks are ideal for attractive layouts combining text and graphics for reading children’s books, text books, and info sheets on modern tablets.
- Are PDFs saved by PagePlus compatible with my customers/subscribers/partners/printer, on their PCs/Macs/tablets/smartphones?
- Yes, PDF files are cross-platform, they faithfully represent your design and contain everything needed for viewing or printing it on other computers and devices. Output presets make sure that PDFs from PagePlus meet your needs, whether that’s a small file size for the web or sending by email, high quality for desktop printing, or conforming to print industry PDF/X-3 standards for accurate, reliable publishing.
- Can I export part or all of my design as an image?
- Yes, the Export as Picture feature previews your exported image, with side-by-side comparisons of different formats and settings. Export objects, areas, the page, or all pages in one go, with super-sampled quality in a large range of image types.
- Can I open PagePlus X9 files in earlier versions of the software?
- Yes, we introduced forwards-compatibility in PagePlus X3, so you can open PagePlus X9 files in versions X3 – X9. If a new file is opened in older software there will likely be some differences due to new features being missing in previous versions, so if sharing it’s recommended to save files with a different name. PagePlus X9 can open publications from the last 11 versions dating back about 14 years.
- What images and other files can I import and export?
- Import images: JPG, PNG, TIFF, Adobe® Photoshop® PSD, SVG, SVGZ, EPS, PS, GIF, J2K, JXR, WDP, HDP, ICO, WMF, EMF, SMF, TGA, DWG, DXF, PCD, PCX, PSP, SPP, RAS, SUN. Professional CMYK, RGB and Grayscale colour spaces offered where supported by the image format. Transparency supported. ICC colour profiles and colour management supported. Import documents: Import and fully edit PDFs, plus import Microsoft® Word DOC and DOCX, TXT, STT, RTF, WPD, WPS, WRI, ODT documents, and PagePlus publications and templates from PagePlus 7 (released in 2000) onwards. Import data: SDB, ODBC data sources such as Access, SQL and many more, and copy data from spreadsheets including Excel. Import media and interactivity: MP3, AIFF, WAV, AVI, MOV, QT, SWF Flash®, FLV Flash video, MPG, MP4, FDF form data, HTML, JS, and embed your own files of any format. Also drag and drop or copy and paste images, text, or other data straight onto your page.
- Export images: JPG, PNG, TIFF, SVG, BMP, GIF, EMF, WMF, SMF. Export selected objects, selected area, entire page or series of pages. Export at any size/resolution, and super-sample for unrivalled quality. Transparency, changes to colour depth and embedding ICC colour profiles offered where supported by the image format. Save or export documents: PDF, Web-optimised PDF, PDF/X up to X-3 for professional printing, STT, RTF, TXT, UTX, UTF text files, and PagePlus PPP publications and PPX templates (compatible with PagePlus X3 onwards). Digital publishing: PDF, standard EPUB 2 eBooks, fixed layout EPUB 3 eBooks, and .Mobi eBooks for Kindle&trade all including covers, ISBN, copyright and other metadata. PDF publishing capabilities include printable documents, size-optimized for online and email, interactive electronic forms, and interactive publications with media. Also copy and paste content to other programs.
For more FAQs, online How Tos, and Troubleshooting articles, visit CommunityPlus.
We’re 100% sure you’ll love any purchase you make with us, but if you’re not completely satisfied, simply return your product within thirty days (seven days if you downloaded) and we promise you a full refund.